As the days get longer and small patches of grass begin to peak out from under the snow, I can’t help but start to think about summer. And that means one of my all-time favourite summer veggies is back on my brain: zucchini.
There are so many things to love about this delicious summer squash: for one, it is 95% water, making it naturally low in calories and an excellent choice if you’re watching your weight. But that’s not all! It’s also loaded with vitamin A, vitamin C and potassium.
When it comes to versatility, zucchini really squashes it’s competition. Grate it into muffins and loaves, throw it in a stir fry or grill it on the barbecue. The possibilities are endless when it comes to this gourd-geous vegetable!
There’s only one time where I’d wag my finger at a delicious zucchini: pub-style zucchini sticks. Nothing turns this dietitian off of a dish like taking a healthy, nutritious vegetable, beer-battering it, deep-frying it and smothering it in high fat ranch dressing.
But there is a better way!
This simple recipe does the same thing with whole grain breading and baking. That means you get a tasty treat, but it still counts towards your daily veg! Try the recipe below and see for yourself. I’ve even included a healthy version of ranch dip (because sometimes you just need a little ranch).
- 3 medium zucchini
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or skim milk)
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Healthy Ranch Dip:
- 1 cup low fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder or crumbled onion flakes
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- ¼ tsp dried dill weed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Slice zucchini into 1 cm rings
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, vinegar, flour and cornstarch
- Mix remaining ingredients in another shall bowl or pan for the breading
- Dip each zucchini round in batter and shake off excess, then dip into breading to cover completely
- Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes
- Flip and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until crispy and brown on outside
- Serve with healthy ranch dip or your favourite dipping sauce.
**Nutrition information analyzed using Eatracker.ca (does not include dip)