Are you getting tired of ho-hum hummus? Why not try a new way to spice up your dipping. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: Muhammara.
We became hooked on this spicy, sweet and savoury dip at a Mediterranean restaurant in Calgary. We looked into it and found out that, on top of being delicious, this Syrian dip also serves up mega health benefits.
Toasted walnuts and olive oil add heart healthy fats. Roasted red peppers offer up vitamins A, C and E. But the real star of this show is the pomegranate molasses which gives this spread it’s signature tangy flavour, while adding an antioxidant-packed scarlet hue. Red pepper flakes kick up the heat, while the generous splash of pomegranate cools things off with understated sweetness.
Best of all, this crimson-coloured dip is quick and easy to make. Serve it with pita chips or veggie sticks for a heart healthy snack, or use it as a tangy spread on sandwiches and wraps. Whether you dip, dab or devour, Muhammara is a hearty dip that always delivers.
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded/cored then roughly chopped
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup chopped scallions (~3 - 4 scallions)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. pomegranate molasses
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 °F (220 °C).
- Add red peppers to non-stick pan and drizzle with 1 tsp. olive oil. Toss to coat then roast for 30 minutes, tossing half way through, until skins are almost charred.
- While peppers are roasting, add walnuts to non-stick frying pan and lightly toast over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Once roasted, add peppers to food processor along with all ingredients except breadcrumbs and salt. Blend until well combined. More blending = smoother texture; less blending = chunkier texture ( we like it chunky).
- Stir in breadcrumbs and add salt (and extra spice) to taste.
- Scrape into a bowl and make a well in the center with the back of a spoon. Drizzle with 1 tsp. each of olive oil and pomegranate molasses.
- Top with walnuts and mint sprig if desired.
- Dig in!
**Nutrition information calculated using eatracker.ca